Как сделать разговор полезным и приятным
Как сделать объемную звезду своими руками
Как сделать то, что делать не хочется?
Как сделать погремушку
Как сделать неотразимый комплимент
Как сделать так чтобы женщины сами знакомились с вами
Как сделать идею коммерческой
Как сделать хорошую растяжку ног?
Как сделать наш разум здоровым?
Как сделать, чтобы люди обманывали меньше
Вопрос 4. Как сделать так, чтобы вас уважали и ценили?
Как сделать лучше себе и другим людям
Как сделать свидание интересным?
Vocabulary practice. 1. Match up the words that are similar in meaning. 1
1. Match up the words that are similar in meaning.
2. Fill in the blanks choosing from the variants given.
1. Main memory … only a small amount of storage area for the data and instructions required by the CPU.
a) allows b) transforms c) provides d) rotate
2. To fabricate a chip, the conductive properties of selective parts of the … can be enhanced.
a) electrical pulses b) semiconducting mater c) digital devices d) binary numbers
3. Some chips on the motherboard are plugged into special sockets and connectors that … chips to be removed for repairs.
a) allow b) assign c) avoid d) include
4. Even embedded computers … maintenance by people.
a) transform b) range c) employ d) require
5. The most powerful computer systems with the fastest processing speed … supercomputers.
a) rotate b) are referred to as c) avoid d) include
6. Every key stroke on a keyboard … a letter symbol into a digital code that the machine can understand.
a) converts b) requires c) allows d) provides
7. Most computers … the simplest type of digital technology – their circuits have only two possible states.
a) assign b) employ c) require d) range
3. Make two-word expressions combining words from two lists. Then fill in the gaps in the following sentences. Some words can be used more than once.
A: data B: data
1. The binary number system represents … as a series of 1s and 0s.
2. An … contains microscopic elements such as wires, transistors, and capacitors, that are packed onto a very small square of semiconducting material.
3. The process of transforming data into form that computers can use for processing is referred to as … .
4. Today computers typically represent … digitally.
5. A computer treats the letters and symbols in a word as … which can be represented by a string of 0s and 1s.
6. All the material your computer works with is stored in files as long strings of … .
7. A … is stored along with the file and contains information about the code used to represent the file data.
4. Fill in the gaps in the text.
Most of today’s computers are electronic, digital devices that work with data coded as binary digits, also known as ___. To represent numeric data, a computer can use the ___ number system. To represent character data, a computer uses Extended ___, EBCDIC, or Unicode. These codes also provide digital representations for the numerals 0 through 9 that are distinguished from numbers by the fact that they are not typically used in mathematical operations. Computers also ___sounds, pictures, and videos into 1s and 0s.
A ___ is a single 1 or 0, whereas a ___ is a sequence of eight 1s and 0s. Transmission speeds are usually measured in ___, but storage space is usually measured in ___ or gigabytes.
Speaking. Discuss the following questions.
1. What is data representation?
2. How do computers represent data digitally?
3. How can a computer represent words and letters using bits?
4. How does a computer convert music and pictures into codes?
5. When a computer works with a series of 1s and 0s, how does it know which
code to use?
6. How can you tell the difference between bits and bytes?
7. What do the prefixes kilo-, mega- and giga- mean?
8. How does a computer store and transport all those bits?
9. What’s a computer chip?
10. What provides connectivity between all the constituent parts of the computer?
Pre-reading. Match the English words with their Russian equivalents.
Reading. Read the text and try to guess the meaning of the words in bold font. Check your variants in the dictionary.
Date: 2015-10-18; view: 203; Нарушение авторских прав