Как сделать разговор полезным и приятным
Как сделать объемную звезду своими руками
Как сделать то, что делать не хочется?
Как сделать погремушку
Как сделать неотразимый комплимент
Как сделать так чтобы женщины сами знакомились с вами
Как сделать идею коммерческой
Как сделать хорошую растяжку ног?
Как сделать наш разум здоровым?
Как сделать, чтобы люди обманывали меньше
Вопрос 4. Как сделать так, чтобы вас уважали и ценили?
Как сделать лучше себе и другим людям
Как сделать свидание интересным?
А.Р. Karpinsky (1847-1936)
V.A. Obruchev, I.M. Gubkin, A.Y. Fersman, V.I. Vernadsky and A. P. Karpinsky were the prominent Russian scientists who laid the foundation1 of the Russian school of geology and mining.
An entire epoch in the history of Russian geology is connected with Karpinsky's name. One of the greatest Russian geologists, he was a member and for some time President of the Academy of Sciences of the former USSR and a member of several Academies abroad. The Geological Society of London elected him a foreign member in 1901. His greatest contribution to geology was a new detailed geological map of the European part of Russia and the Urals.
For many years he headed the Russian Geological Committee the staff of which was made up of2 his pupils. He was one of those geologists who embraced the whole of geological science. He created the new stratigraphy of Russia. He studied the geological systems in various regions of the country and was the first to establish3 the regularity of the Earth's crust movement. His paleontological studies are of no less importance, especially those on Paleozoic ammonoids. He also took an interest in4 deposits of useful minerals and gave a classification of volcanic rocks. He advanced the view that petroleum deposits existed in Russian, which was confirmed later. He studied some ore and platinum deposits and may be justly considered5 the founder of practical geology of the Urals. He was the first Russian scientist who introduced microscope in the study of petrographic slides.
Karpinsky was a prominent scientist, an excellent man and citizen. He was one of the best lecturers at the Mining Institute in his time. He was also one of the greatest Russian scientists who later became the first elected President of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Students were attracted to him not only because he was a great scientist but also because of his charming personality and gentle manner.
Every geologist and every geology student knows very well Karpinsky's most significant work An Outline of the Physical and Geographical Conditions in European Russia in Past Geological Periods
ПОЯСНЕНИЯ К ТЕКСТУ
1 to lay the foundation— заложить фундамент (основы)
2 to be nude up of —состоять из
3 was the first to establish— первым установил
4 to take an interest in— интересоваться, увлекаться чем-либо
5 may be considered— может считаться (сочетание модального глагола с
53. Укажите, какие предложения соответствуют содержанию текста. Подтвердите свои ответы фактами из текста.
1. Karpinsky was the first President of the Academy of Sciences.
2. He worked at the Mining Institute in St.Petersburg.
3. Karpinsky was a member of many Academies abroad.
4. Karpinsky made up a detailed map of the Asian part of our country.
5. He headed the Russian Geological Committee.
6. Karpinsky created a new branch of geology, namely stratigraphy.
7. He only tried to establish the regularity of the Earth's crust movement.
8. Karpinsky may be justly considered the founder of the practical geology of the Urals.
54. Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What society elected Karpinsky a foreign member and when?
2. Did he head the Russian Geological Committee or was he a member of that Committee?
3. Did Karpinsky investigate various regions of the Russian territory?
4. Which of his works are the most remarkable?
5. What can you say about Karpinsky's investigations in petrology?
Date: 2015-07-27; view: 1794; Нарушение авторских прав